What is MiEWIMS?
Michigan's Early Warning Intervention and Monitoring System (MiEWIMS) is a robust and integrated decision-making system to support educators in their efforts to ensure all learners will be engaged in school and on-track for high school graduation. Dashboards and reports provide educators with data to identify areas needing systemic improvements at district, school, or grade level. In addition, data reports call attention to individual students who are showing early signs that could lead to dropping out of school. Teams examine the underlying causes of risk (push out and pull out factors), match students’ needs to systemic and individual interventions, and monitor the impact of those changes. MiEWIMS is designed to be used in the context of Multi-Tiered System of Supports (MTSS) implementation.
Features of MiEWIMS
MiEWIMS was designed with input from a variety of Michigan educators: district MTSS Coordinators, secondary school principals, data specialists, continuous improvement facilitators, the MiMTSS TA Center, and the Michigan Department of Education. This team of stakeholders designed features of MiEWIMS based on a critical analysis of existing tools (e.g., spreadsheets and export tools developed by the MiMTSS TA Center, National High School Center data tools, MiDataHub EWS dashboard) to leverage the best features of each and develop an information system that is user-friendly, available to educators along the educational cascade (e.g., teachers, principals, district leaders, ISD consultants), and designed to improve data-based decision making. These features include:
- Data views that are updated nightly based on automated integrations using the Michigan DataExchange
- Connected to the MiDataHub, MiDataExchange, and MiStrategyBank
- Design features leveraged from MiRead and Michigan’s Integrated Continuous Improvement Process (MICIP)
- Dashboards (classroom, school, district) as the primary view upon logging in
- Customized views and access by the user (teacher, interventionist, principal)
- Student lists that are sortable and can be filtered by multiple variables (e.g., grade level, risk flags, demographic characteristics of students)
- Built-in features for developing and monitoring plans for an entire school, groups, and individual students
- Future integrations with MICIP and the MiMTSS Data System