The SWIS Suite provides three web-based data and reporting systems for screening and monitoring student behavior. The systems allow schools to easily collect and analyze behavior data around school climate. The systems are also specifically aligned with school-wide PBIS.
School-Wide Information System (SWIS)
Enter information into SWIS every time a student receives a major or minor discipline referral. SWIS tracks behavioral referrals, including the student, the problem behavior, the adult response, the time of day, and the location in the school.
SWIS can be used for evaluating individual students for universal screening. Data can also be used for program evaluation and progress monitoring school-wide interventions. The dashboard reports can show larger themes about the school climate, such as:
- Locations in the school that generate discipline referrals.
- Days of the week or times of day that generate discipline referrals.
- Common types of problem behaviors.
- Grade levels with high levels of problem behavior.
- Student subgroups that receive the most discipline referrals.
SWIS includes drill down features which are robust reporting options for defining a problem with precision.
Importance of Discipline Referrals
Discipline referrals are one of the main indicators MIBLSI uses for assessing behavioral outcomes and determining the success of supports and school-wide practices. Discipline referral data is also rich with information that can be analyzed to help make decisions about supports and practices.
National Data Comparisons Through SWIS
School leadership teams can compare their data to national data from schools of a similar size. Many schools across the nation agree to share their school-level data that they enter into SWIS with PBISApps. Only aggregate school-wide data can be seen (not individual student-level), and the schools are never identified with their data.
PBISApps uses that data to calculate and release the SWIS National Norms each year. The SWIS National Norms show the median rate of discipline referrals for schools with different grade configurations.
Check-In/Check-Out SWIS (CICO-SWIS)
This data system is standardized to match the tier 2 behavior intervention Check-In/Check-Out (CICO). CICO-SWIS captures the scores that school personnel assign daily to students for each behavior expectation as part of CICO. The data can be used for progress monitoring.
Individual SWIS (I-SWIS)
I-SWIS tracks key information for students receiving tier 3 behavior and academic interventions and can be used for progress monitoring. I-SWIS is flexible and easy to customize. School staff can collect data, store documents, and specify the goals that match the individualized plan for each student.
- All data should be entered into SWIS through PBISApps.
- SWIS facilitators should identify school-level SWIS users who enter data. SWIS users enter discipline referrals in SWIS within 48 hours of the incident.
- PBISApps reports generate aggregate referral data. The systems coach enters the aggregate referral data into MiMTSS Data System during the data review coaching support session.
- SWIS (Tier 1): School-wide discipline referral data should be reviewed monthly for universal screening and program evaluation.
- CICO-SWIS (Tier 2): Student records in CICO-SWIS should be reviewed every two weeks for progress monitoring.
- I-SWIS (Tier 3): Student records in I-SWIS should be reviewed every three to five days for progress monitoring.